Knitwitter Getting Started Guide
Be part of knitwitter by adding your secret message, hidden in knitting or crochet, to our autumn 2020 exhibition as part of ControlShift.
1. Think of a message
What would you like to say but still keep hidden?
- Perhaps you'd like to send a secret message of love or thanks you'd like to preserve
- Or a wish or hope you're afraid to say out loud.
- Maybe there's something you've always wanted to shout out but haven't had the confidence
- Or a message that can only be understood by animals or beings from another realm
2. Hide your message in a pattern to knit/crochet
- Click "next".
- Click the pattern option buttons to see different ways your message could look as a pattern.
- Change the numbers in the boxes to adjust the pattern (you'll need to press enter/update pattern to see the changes).
How secret do you want your message to be? You can change the pattern settings to make it harder or easier for someone to decode or harder or easier to knit, or more interesting to look at...
When you've got a pattern you like, click "Print Design" to see a print friendly version of the design. Print it or save it as a pdf
3. Make your knitting/crochet
There are two main ways to turn your pattern into a piece of knitting.
- Use one colour for 0 and another for 1
- Use one stitch for 0 and another for 1
(remember you're working on the back of the piece for every other row so you might need to reverse your stitch choice for every other row).
New to knitting or crochet? Don't let that stop you. We've put together some of the best YouTube instructional videos on the knitwitter blog.
4. Send us your work to us for the exhibition
We want to combine your individual pieces of work into one giant work of everyone's secret messages to exhibit in Bristol this autumn.
Get your work to us by:
- Dropping it off at Re:store, Filwood Broadway, BS4 1JN
- Posting it to: Knitwitter, BV Studios, 47 St Philip Street, Bristol BS3 4EA
- Want to join in, but not allowed to leave the house? If you live in South Bristol, Liz will collect your work. Call her on 07490 884769 to arrange pick-up.
Please include your name when you send us your work.
We want to credit everyone who contributes.